Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dianthus in Bloom

Great joy comes to me seeing these beautiful troughs in bloom! I went a little crazy with the dianthus last fall and the pay off is now! The sorrowful aspect for me is that I am on the road for the summer and have been able to enjoy these beauties thanks my son, who is keeping them, and my friend Chris, who is tending them.

Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Firewitch'


Elsewhere . . . 

I render close-ups shots I took of dianthus growing in the formal gardens at the Biltmore Estate, in Asheville, NC.

Dianthus gratianopolitanus' Spotty'




Helpful Thots on Dianthus:

The quintessential cottage flower, pinks are treasured for their grasslike blue-green foliage and abundant starry flowers, which are often spicily fragrant. Depending on the type of pink, flowers appear in spring or summer and tend to be pink, red, white, rose, or lavender, but come in nearly all shades except true blue. Plants range from tiny creeping groundcovers to 30-inch-tall cut flowers, which are a favorite with florists. Foliage is blue-green. (Better Homes & Gardens)

Light: Sun,Part Sun
Zones: 3-10
Plant Type: PerennialPlant
Height:4-30 inches tall
Plant Width:4-18 inche s wide
Landscape Uses: Containers, Beds & Borders,Slopes, Groundcover
Special Features: Flowers, Attractive Foliage, Fragrant, Cut Flowers, Dried Flowers,
Misc.: Attracts Hummingbirds, butterflies, drought Tolerant, deer resistant, easy to grow

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful!! I just love the flowers in those cement troughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla!I guess you could call them my "Horticultural Silly Program.:

      Delete