Friday, October 12, 2012

Why Miniature Gardening?

A Large Conifer World
A Miniature Conifer World 


Is it hokey? Is it like playing dolls? Or with army men? I tell people I like miniature gardens because at least on one level -- these small, magical worlds are something I can control (as opposed to the massive huge, immeasurably fast and unstable big world in which we live).  It takes great patience to work in a small scale and steadiness of hands. Good eyes help, but magnifying apparatus can save the day.

Plants, especially, carry their own magic in miniature. One man once said to me, "If you can't eat it, why grow it? We don't need pretty. We need edible." I said, "Have you seen what I am growing?" He said (of course), "No.  I don't need to see it." I said, "Can you see that pine tree over there?"-- pointing to an Eastern Red Cedar about 50 feet tall. He said he did. I said, "I grow those, only six inches tall. Don't you think that's worth looking at?"

He didn't answer. Which, I think, is a good thing.

Aspiration: Joy in creating small living worlds.

Garden Lesson Learned: Growing in miniature can be easily managed on one level but demands vigilance on another level. Small plants in small containers need watered more regularly and will respond to adverse growing conditions in a more accelerated fashion. That said, once the stress factor is remedied, small plants in containers also rebound faster. Always keep sharp snips at the ready. These little friends will be gratified with regular grooming.

Life Lesson Learned: Gardening in miniature creates an aptitude of patience with an element of whimsy. People might not take you seriously until you show them the true scale of things and do so with a glint in your eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment